I have really loved the past couple of months at my summer internship. However, a lot of the work I’m doing gets very repetitive which while I do find soothing, my short attention span doesn’t quite agree. But I have cured my desire to get distracted at work with the greatest solution: podcasts! I have tried out a bunch and have definitely found some of my favorites which I am going to share with you today!
- Invisibilia: I listened to my first three episodes in a row, and I became ADDICTED. The best podcast of them all. It’s SO interesting and I feel like I am learning so much with every episode. The second season just started. Can I please get an internship with these ladies?!
- This American Life: This is like the gold standard of podcasts. Ira Glass does such wonderful work. The stories about ordinary people with extraordinary tales to tell ALWAYS brighten my day.
- Dear Sugar Radio: This podcasts put all advice columns to shame. If you are a fan of Cheryl Strayed already, how are you not already listening to this podcast?! She and Steve Almond are a dream team.
- Serial: This highly talked about podcast is the one that really got me into podcasts. Sarah Koenig is awesome and someone I deeply admire for the work that she is doing in the radio journalism field. I am so glad she is telling these stories that need to be told!
- Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!: So this podcast was my savior for all my journalism classes. I love that this is a fun, informative way of staying up to date on the latest news.
- Limetown: So imagine Serial and the X-Files had a baby… it is this podcast. The first season was AWESOME and literally gave me chills every episode. I cannot give this podcast enough compliments.
- Modern Love: Every week, actors and actresses have started reading essays published in the Modern Love column of the New York Times. They are beautiful, occasionally heartbreaking, but ultimately enlightening.
- Radiolab: I am addicted. The storytelling on this show is incredible. Their mini-series More Perfect was just released too, and it makes me stop in my tracks whenever I’m listening. You cannot miss this!
- The Moth: I love storytelling and the Moth gets the best storytellers. These stories will make you laugh and cry in the same breath. I am dying to attend a live recording.
And for fans of the Bachelor/Bachelorette:
- Here To Make Friends: Listen to this podcast! Emma and Claire are the funniest and talk about the good, bad, ugly and sexist when it comes to all things Bachelor. It feels like such a good cleanse listening to this show after watching the actual show that is typically filled with plenty of cringeworthy moments. (I’m actually listening to it as I post this!)